HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Santa Rosas Prospectors Rock House Messages in this topic - RSS

rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412


5/14/2018
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412
I wanted to share a few more pictures I thought were interesting from my Santa Rosa backpack trip I took a few weeks back. Up a un-named canyon to a rock house I spotted on Google Earth. The rock house was square not round. I believe I would find a more modern ruin built by a non-native settler, rancher or prospector. Well I was presently surprised to find both. A prospectors rock house built on top of a native American site. A small site of maybe a few acres of a gentle slope bench against the steep mountian and canyons of the mightly Santa Rosas. A old water source nearby.

Rock house I spotted on G. Earth




edited by rockhopper on 5/14/2018
edited by rockhopper on 5/14/2018
edited by rockhopper on 5/14/2018
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412


5/14/2018
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412
Rockhouse I saw on Google Earth

Hiking up a un-named canyon I found it.


More recent rockhouse was built on a Native American seasonal village site. Rusted iron and tin cans on top of pottery shards and arrowheads.
Who was this person? Rancher, prospector?..........mystery solved!

Next canyon had this. Memorial? chimney with no flue?

Found this old trail heading over from canyon to canyon.


View from trail.

note: I did not show G.E. cords due to sensitive artifacts noted in the area. I can pass them along to our moderator to use as he wishes.
Cheers
regards, rockhopper




edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2018




edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2018
+2 link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412


5/15/2018
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412
Photos loaded this time. Thanks Daren!
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354


5/15/2018
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354
Been wanting to hike this side of the desert for a while. Did you get to the trails from the Salton sea side? Like when you find old foot trails! Nice Pictures!

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189


5/15/2018
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189
rockhopper wrote:
Photos loaded this time. Thanks Daren!

Nice find, now you will have everyone searching for the rockhopper rockhouse....

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412


5/15/2018
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412
Britain wrote:
Been wanting to hike this side of the desert for a while. Did you get to the trails from the Salton sea side? Like when you find old foot trails! Nice Pictures!

Britain, The last photo. I parked in the farmers field below. I have a old "trail head" vehicle I use just in case. In all the years I never had a problem. I parked in an organic lemon field and the smell was glorious, especially upon my return. There are quite a few "old trials" criss crossing the Santa Rosas in areas of low erosion. They are a blessing when I find them. Especially when you are lugging heavy gear + water.
Cheers
edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2018
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412


5/15/2018
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 412
dsefcik wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
Photos loaded this time. Thanks Daren!

Nice find, now you will have everyone searching for the rockhopper rockhouse....

Daren,
Maybe I will call the unnamed canyon Lucia canyon, or maybe Rockhopper canyon :-)
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 717


5/15/2018
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 717
Nice GE find and trip.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354


5/15/2018
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354
rockhopper wrote:
Britain wrote:
Been wanting to hike this side of the desert for a while. Did you get to the trails from the Salton sea side? Like when you find old foot trails! Nice Pictures!

Britain, The last photo. I parked in the farmers field below. I have a old "trail head" vehicle I use just in case. In all the years I never had a problem. I parked in an organic lemon field and the smell was glorious, especially upon my return. There are quite a few "old trials" criss crossing the Santa Rosas in areas of low erosion. They are a blessing when I find them. Especially when you are lugging heavy gear + water.
Cheers
edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2018


I found the image on GE, amazing that you spotted this. Thanks for the reply!
edited by Britain on 5/15/2018

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 105


5/17/2018
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 105
Excellent sleuthing.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189


5/17/2018
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189
I am still searching...apparently my GE kung fu is not very strong.....I know I am close though...smile

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354


5/17/2018
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354
Someone had a good eye to spot this .


--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354


5/17/2018
Britain
Britain
Posts: 354
Heres a Photo from a plane. Looks like someone had some interest in this area a while ago.


--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189


5/17/2018
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189
OK, yeah..I looked at that spot twenty times last night...I got it now...thanks, my GE kung fu level just got stronger..!!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189


5/17/2018
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2189
The chimney / flue sure looks close by also...but again my GE kung fu not so strong....

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software